Spills, drops, and accidents on your floor are inevitable, especially in busy households with multiple residents. Staring at a fresh stain on your precious rug can feel like a homeowner’s worst nightmare.
A lot of homeowners in San Jose tend to opt for carpet cleaning services and let professionals handle it. Whether you choose to hire pros or tackle the stains yourself, it’s important to know that there are solutions for every spill. So, before you panic over that spilled wine or muddy footprint, let’s explore the solutions for getting rid of the stains.
How do you get common stains out of the carpet?
Take a look at the solutions for different kinds of spills and stains:
1. Red wine
- Immediate action: Blot the spill using a clean cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible. Remember to blot, not rub, as rubbing can push the wine deeper into the carpet fibers.
- Treatment: After blotting, mix a solution of two cups of warm water, one tablespoon of white vinegar, and one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Apply this solution to the stain with a clean cloth, blotting until the stain starts to fade.
- Immediate action: Just like wine, start by blotting the spill.
- Treatment: Use a mixture of water, white vinegar, and a non-bleach detergent. Apply to the stain, blotting continuously until it’s gone.
- Immediate action: Dab the stain with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) using a cloth or sponge. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing.
- Treatment: Gently blot until the stain starts to lift. Rinse with cold water and blot dry.
4. Pet Accidents
- Immediate action: If solid, pick up the mess without pushing it into the material. If liquid, use paper towels to soak up as much as possible.
- Treatment: Clean the area with a mixture of water and mild soap. Rinse with water and blot out the excess. For lingering odors, consider using a pet odor neutralizer.
- Immediate action: Using cold water (hot water can set the blood stain), blot the area to remove as much blood as possible.
- Treatment: Prepare a mixture of mild dish detergent and cold water. Apply it to the stain and blot until it disappears.
6. Fruit juice
- Immediate action: Blot the spill immediately.
- Treatment: Mix one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid with two cups of water. Apply this solution to the stain and blot until it vanishes.
- Immediate action: Ice is your friend here. Press a few ice cubes against the gum until it hardens.
- Treatment: Once the gum is hard, it should be easy to gently pry off with a spoon. Vacuum the residue. If any remnants remain, use a cloth dampened with a bit of solvent for dry sanitization to dab the area.
- Immediate action: Allow the wax to harden. This makes it easier to remove.
- Treatment: Once hard, gently scrape off the wax using a knife. Place a cloth over the remaining wax and iron on a warm setting. The wax will melt and adhere to the cloth.
- Immediate action: Gently blot without spreading the stain.
- Treatment: A bit of rubbing alcohol on a cloth can effectively lift makeup stains. Gently dab until the stain is gone.
10. Oils and grease
- Immediate action: Blot as much as you can.
- Treatment: Applying a bit of solvent on a cloth can help. Dab the stain, working from the outside in, to prevent spreading.
For most of these treatments, it’s wise to first test any solution on a hidden area of the material to ensure it won’t damage or discolor the fibers.
Where in San Jose and the surrounding area can I find reliable carpet cleaning services?
Look no further than Blue Cap Carpet Cleaning. With years of experience and a streamlined, professional approach, we’re here to ensure that your floors look and smell amazing. Taking regular care of your floor coverings will make them look better and last a lot longer than they would without professional care.
Professional care has a number of benefits that you can’t achieve by doing this yourself. Relax and take a walk at Almaden Quicksilver County Park while our pros work away or stay and watch them work their magic. Reach out to our pros today and get started!